Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is fall here again!? Yippe!

It feels like fall outside, and I couldn't be more excited! I truly love the changing seasons! Last fall I began taking pictures around Yale, and had an idea to capture the 4 seasons in one location. I will do it again this year with a few more locations, and try to stand in the exact same spot each time (the ones below were just estimates each time). Maybe if they turn out good enough, I could sell them at Yale or something? Who knows. My inspiration was the Central Park four season photos that you see all over the city.

 I placed them in this order because of the song that goes "Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall...all you have to do is call, and I'll be there...". Good of a reason as any right?

Fall also brings more baking, soups, and autumn inspired recipes. I made a butternut squash chowder that is so yummy and healthy I just have to share it! It was given to me last year by Emily Streeter. I made it last week, and am making some more tomorrow!


B and B’s Butternut Squash and Corn chowder

2 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 5 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
10 oz frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 t curry powder
coarse salt and pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz each) vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream (I only had milk on hand, and it worked fine)

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder and cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. In a blender, blend half of the soup until smooth and mash any large chuck of squash in the pot. Return to pot and stir in cream. Heat through but do NOT let it boil.

1 comment:

Sarah, Jordan, and Faye said...

that's such a great song, one of my faves