Tuesday, February 23, 2010

99 cents and a whole lotta work!

Helllllllo Friends! 

A few weeks ago, I was out on another GWO adventure (goodwill outlet) and found a coffee table for 99 cents! Isn't that kinda sad?! Clearance at the Goodwill...outlet! Doesn't get worse than that! 
(Holla at Makayla, Baby Bailey, Whitney and lil Rose)

 It's probably so cheap because there is a huge, deep blemish right on the top. Doesn't matter to me though, because I will be making it into a widow bench!
It's going to take a little while though :) The wood finish is really horrible. What I particularly hate are the black speckles all over it. Who makes perfectly nice table, coats it with unncessary stain, and then adds black splotches everywhere??? I will attempt to sand it all off, but the detailing on the sides will be very challenging.
 
Here she is! Big enough for 3 friends and 2 strangers :) 

 
Just look at that hole! I keep trying to think what caused it...burn? chemicals? rotten wood?
 
Here's how far I got with one hour of sanding....not very far. Isn't the natural wood soo much prettier?! Just seeing a few inches of potential is very enouraging. 
 
This is the pretty detailing that I am dreading! It wraps around the whole table. Wish me luck! Any advice?!

A more fun aspect of this project is the fabric I picked out for the cushions and pillows....but that'll have to be on another post....tell then!

6 comments:

RHulsey said...

You are so ambitious! I wish I had good sanding advice for you but I am afraid I have no experience with that sort of sanding.
Sometime in the future Aaron wants to restore our computer desk. I think I will definitely come to you for advice when that time comes.

Whitney said...

the real wood looks WAY better and i think you were right to stick with this bench over the other little one we found today! :) . . though i might still go get it -hehe and then we can have an even bigger sanding party!! doesn't whitehall know they could make way more money if they had garages!! pshh!!

Natalie Bergin said...

Good luck!! I'm so bad at this stuff so no advice here...I'm sure it will look wonderful!

Sarah, Jordan, and Faye said...

can't can't wait...i love reading your posts b/c you do so many great things and alway so fun to read! LOL I want to do this BUT not sure if I would be good at the sewing part...i just starting knitting but that isn't the same is it? LOL okie well good luck!

mandie said...

c.r.a.f.t.y. :)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the shape of that coffee table and I don't think I could've passed it up for $.99. Great find! Boy that hole on the top has me stumped. What a strange thing.

If it were mine, I would fill in the hole with a wood filler and decoupage the top to hide the patch. Just a thought... I can't wait to see what you do with it and how it turs out.