Friday, November 20, 2009

Thankful for...learning how to cook!

I remember being at my wedding showers, receiving cookware, recipe books, mixing bowls and baking sets. Each time I would open one of these gifts, I would exclaim "I don't know how to cook, but I can't wait to learn!". I was 100% serious, and now a year and half later, I have grown leaps and bounds in my cooking skills. It's been a fun journey and I've noticed a few things....

1. I love allrecipes.com and am a very loyal allrecipes chef. What I love/need are the comments and reviews from people that have already made the recipe. They give advice and confirm that it is actually a good recipe, and tips about how they made it wonderful. I am frightened to make anything not on all recipes...even despite the heavy alluring pull of my cookbooks at home, and the super-duper awesome ones at the store.
2. I only cook things that I like. I don't love this observation about myself, however it's true :) I know that Daniel really loves a few certain foods, but I don't make them very often at all...bad wife!!!
3. If something takes way too long, or I had a difficult time with it, I develop an aversion to that food, and wont eat it again for a very, very, very long time....even if it tasted good.
4.  I am extremely non adventurous when it comes to cooking meats. I basically only cooked with beef and chicken. Other varieties are minimal: ham (only once) and sausage (a few times), pork (once in a slow cooker, so that doesn't really count) and fish....well, I have cooked shrimp and scallops, Daniel made red fish once...but still, very limited fish use also.
5. I don't really cook my restaurant favorites. I love Sushi, Thai, Pasta's and Mexican food the most, yet I make these the least...? My new cooking goal is to make these kinds of foods more often, as well as Daniel's favorites :)
6. I have found these 3 basic things to be the most helpful when cooking. Taste your food. Use lots spices and flavorings. Don't cook a recipe with out personal advice, or a 5 star rating :)

These are some really great items that I love to make. These are very easy (require no skill at all) and very yummy! I follow the comments on all of these :)

Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Garlic-Lime-Chicken/Detail.aspx

Salsa Chicken - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Salsa-Chicken/Detail.aspx


Kielbasa with Peppers and Potatoes - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kielbasa-with-Peppers-and-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

Ham and Potato Soup - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Ham-and-Potato-Soup/Detail.aspx

2 comments:

RHulsey said...

Ooo, I really want to like cooking. I tried making myself for a while, maybe I should try again.

emily :) said...

Yeah to cooking! :) I want to try those recipes you posted...they sound good! Thanks :)