Monday, June 14, 2010

June Vaca (TRES!)

We took our one week off and turned it into 3 mini vacations! The New Hampshire trip was really spur of the moment, this one was planned a few months in advance and something I had really been looking forward to. 

We went to the adorable and grand Newport Rhode Island. We camped near by at Fort Getty in Jamestown and then spent the days in town at Newport. It's such a neat and unique place. The big mansions remind me of southern plantations. The cliffs are a picture perfect New England scene. The shops and restaurants make you feel like your in a big city borough. 


First I must ask about this photo. Is it cool? Or am I just weird? I kinda like this little snail guy carrying a plant on his back. I picked up the rock he was attached to use in our carions, but found mr. snail much too interesting to add to the pile. 


This was our inspiration....isn't it great?! We found it on our walk along the cliffs. 



Ok, ok. So on to the mansions! Back in the day, all the millionaires around the country wanted to be apart of THE summer social hot spot...New Port Rhode Island. Random right?


The photos above were taken while walking along the 'Cliffwalk' a path that you walk on foot that is wedged between the back yards of the mansions and the rocky cliffs leading to the water. It was very misty the first day we were there, so the pictures aren't that great. 

Eleven of the biggest and best historical mansions are owned by the town's historical society, and are open to the public to tour. We were given tickets to two of the mansions from my boss, and loved having the opportunity to go inside them. The first one we went to was Rosecliff. It was lovely and is rented for movies often. It was used in 27 Dresses (in the beginning scenes where her friend is getting married and she's the MOH who gets knocked out in the bouquet toss....in case you were wondering :)

Next we went to the 'Breakers', the top mansion to see. It was owned by the Vanderbilt family for decades, and then finally given to the historical society after many many years. It was much more opulent than Rosecliff. 


This is the breakers behind us. When we took this photo the day before we took the tour. We had no idea which mansion it was :) The hazy mist adds a whole new element to the look of the mansion..kinda ghost like!

 got gate?


 
 This picture is the backyard view from the 2nd floor balcony

Lastly, here are a few photos from the cliff walk, and Fort Getty. 
 
I said it on facebook, and I'll say it again...I almost died running to this spot on the rocks in under 10 seconds! 

It's a mega post, I know. Way to go! You made it to the end! No more vacations for us for a while :) 

jk. we're going to Niagara and Hill Cumorah next month! 
It's quite a drive, but should be a great weekend trip. Stay tuned!







1 comment:

Sarah, Jordan, and Faye said...

hey Val you really take the best pictures ever...so really great!