Sunday, July 25, 2010

To black and white...or not to black and white?

I've really enjoyed experimenting with different editing programs the past few weeks, and have constantly debated on how a picture looks better, in vibrant colors or classic black and white. I can usually never decide, so I save both forms :) (being indecisive on colors is 'so me').  What do you guys think?

Black and white version above. Isn't this yellow so great?!

Awesome train ride into Verde Canyon in AZ. I love the eagle on the side and the red rocks contrasting against the turquoise.

Picnik.com is a really easy, free editing site that sets up cool side-by-side frames for your photos like this one. It's neat to see the changes between your original photo and your edited version.

I've been editing photos since back in college. I don't feel bad enhancing them, and neither should you! Everyone does it :) It's like steroids and baseball, you have to do it or you wont be as good as the other guys. At school I entered lots of photos of my friends and I to be in USF magazines and in the school planners...all edited of course! My friends and I would always giggle as we 'clicked' our pasty winter white skin into the sun kissed Florida glow we longed for in the winter.

Anywho, you should check out the picnik.com website and play around. It's really fun. Picasa is also good to use, but you have to download it and it's much less fun, and more complicated. You should also let me know which versions you like best! I need help deciding...to black and white, or not to black and white?

2 comments:

RHulsey said...

I think it depends on the picture. I think that flowers should almost always be in color because that is what makes them so beautiful. But I like the train picture in black and white. I guess landscape centered pictures should be in color, but things and people can go black and white and still look really cool. But I love the colors of nature!

Alicia said...

I've been thinking about this post for a while :) For me, I think I like the color pictures. Especially since you make them extra vivid - I like that! Although, there is something so raw and crisp about black and white....I like them, too. I guess I'm not much help :)